Thursday, July 12, 2012

Our Engagement Story

Um where have the last two weeks gone?  And for that matter, where have the last two months gone?  Things have gotten interesting at work, to say the least.  I'm busier than ever heading into what is sure to be an intense election year.  Throw in one engagement (with wedding planning underway) and the biggest storm to hit Ohio in the past four years (which left us without power for 7 days, in record temperatures) and it has been a whirlwind of a time.


But let's start with the happy stuff.  


Two weeks and two days ago, we were celebrating J's birthday.  The birthday week was winding to a close; I had successfully surprised him with a sailing trip that took months to coordinate and made his requested birthday dessert: marble cake with homemade buttercream frosting.  We had picked up ingredients for his birthday dinner: veal chops, broccolini, and rice pilaf (he's a foodie, remember?), and I was set to celebrate his 40th after I got off work.


Just like usual, I came home and he was in the kitchen prepping dinner.  Yes, on his own birthday.  And yes, I offered to cook but honestly if he wanted decent tasting veal chops, it was best if he chipped in.  While he was prepping I decided to take a quick shower and put on some comfy clothes which would be more....accommodating... for the feast we were about to have.  


I'm going about my business, get out of the shower and on the way to the bedroom I see this:

My first reaction? A gasp and a "What the hell is on my clean stairs?!" Simultaneously combined with "This is it, he's going to propose!"


But as I was getting dressed, I started thinking "What if this isn't it?  What if he's just being romantic on his birthday?"  So I proceeded with the plan of putting on some nice, but comfortable pajama pants and a t-shirt.


The trail of rose petals led me downstairs, through the kitchen, and into the living room, stopping at his computer sitting on the coffee table.  Instant confusion.


He said there was something on there for me to open so I looked and on the screen was a picture of a plane.  More confusion.  Then he explained that he knows how hard I've been working lately and we both could use a little getaway.  He'd already cleared my calendar by talking to my co-workers and the plane, car, and hotel had been booked for July 5th - 9th.


By this time I am SOBBING.  Happy tears but sobbing over having such a sweet boyfriend who went to all of this work to surprise me (all while I was planning his birthday surprise) and happy tears over getting to go on vacation!  I was so happy I didn't even ask where we were going and in the back of my head I was thinking, "Okay, maybe he'll propose on vacation."


Then he said there was "one more thing" and pulls out a square Bed Bath and Beyond box.  More confusion.  I open the lid and inside is a KitchenAid attachment that I had been wanting for the new stand mixer.  Even MORE confusion.  I said "thanks?" and put the box down.  To which he said, "No, look under that."  And under the attachment were more rose petals and what appeared to be a ring box.  Insert more sobbing and a "if these are earrings I'm not going to be happy..."


I pulled out the box and opened it with very shaky hands and found it to be empty.  Confused again.  And finally at this point, he got down on one knee and proposed, pulling the ring out of his pocket.  His reaction when it was all over?  "I expected tears, but this was a lot more than I anticipated, kinda threw me off my game a bit."  Poor guy.


It was an emotional roller coaster to say the least.  I had always told him I want "hearts and flowers" when he decided to pull the trigger, so rose petals it was.  I also told him he'd have to be creative because it's hard to pull over a surprise on me because I'm always thinking of potential situations.  Not once did I think he'd actually propose on his birthday!


We I then spent the next four hours on the phone with everyone, going over the when, the how, and the "Send me pictures of the ring!"  We are elated.  Ecstatic.  Thrilled!  And the wedding planning has officially begun.  Details to come because Lord knows this is going to require a LOT of decision making.


And that vacation?  A trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula where we had both gone as children on skiing vacations with our families.  And when you see the pictures, you'll understand just how beautiful it is up there!


Happy Thursday!

5 comments:

Shannon @ Bungalow960 said...

Swoon. So happy for you!

Heather Marie said...

So so sweet! Congrats. I haven't started planning yet, and I have no clue of when I will start, lol! Good luck!

Celeste said...

Wow, what a thoughtful man you've got there! Congratulations!!!

lazy explorers said...

Awh! That is so sweet. And you told the story so well, I was really getting into it!

Melissa said...

Thanks everyone! Needless to say, work and wedding planning has taken more time away from the blog than I'd like...hoping to make a return soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...