Monday, June 25, 2012

Sailing

My first post in over a week so I'll keep this short and sweet and even include a picture of myself...which I don't think I've ever done in a post.


J's 40th birthday is coming up on Tuesday and I've been planning and plotting for months.  Knowing that J grew up sailing in his hometown, I thought it would be a great treat to rent a sailboat and go sailing on Lake Erie for the day.  What I didn't realize, however, is that it is hard to find places that rent the sailboat just to you as opposed to a charter where they staff the sailing process.


A few phone calls and a couple of referrals later, I found a place that would let us take the boat out for the day on our own.  It was beyond difficult to keep this from J since I'm terrible at keeping surprises a surprise for longer than a day.  But I held out for two whole months until the day arrived.


J found out we were going sailing the night before we left when I gave him a pair of boat shoes as one of his birthday week gifts.  This gave him plenty of time to research the kind of boat we'd be sailing and brush up on his sailing terms.  Or rather, send me a list of things I needed to learn.


The lake is about 2.5 hours from Columbus and I had to work late Friday evening, so we were up and at 'em around 5 am Saturday morning.  We got the coffee, loaded the car, and hit the road.


We got to the marina around 9 and from there on out it was all sailing talk.  Jib, falling off, tiller, and centerboard were all things I heard throughout the day.  J was totally in his element, almost giddy at being back on a sailboat.


We had beautiful weather and just enough wind to make it fun, but not enough that we spent the whole 6 hours working our buns off.  J was nervous that with the size of the boat, I'd be doing a lot of work (having never sailed before), but that was before we surprised him by bringing along one of his childhood friends and his wife.


Now for the pictures:


 The large island on the right is Kelley's Island and the one to the left is Put In Bay.  If you're from Ohio, these names are familiar to you.

My view for pretty much the entire day



A group shot at the end of the day

I must say I am pretty pleased at having pulled this off.  It was exactly what I needed after a particularly busy week at work and seeing J so happy on the boat made all the planning worth it.

How was your weekend?

2 comments:

Erin said...

Yay for Ohio and boating! :) What a great bday surprise-- I bet he loved every second of it! I have so much fun surprising my hubby for his bday every year, I need to get the gears turning for his next one (November) so I can pull off something great! ;)

Shannon @ Bungalow960 said...

What an awesome surprise for him!!! I am terrible at planning surprises. And giving presents. I always end up ruining it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...