Thursday, May 10, 2012

Village Happenings

At night our neighborhood is, for lack of a better word, boring.  I love it that way because I feel safe, secure, and comfortable.  I have enough drama in my life without having to worry what's going on at home.  Last night, however, things got a little more exciting.


J and I went to bed around 10:30 and I was having difficulty falling asleep.  But just as I was drifting off, I heard a loud bang and the sound of heavy glass shattering.  I thought for sure someone had broken into a car outside so I shot out of bed and ran into the guest room at the front of the house.  

We had our windows open and I saw a guy hopping through the door frame of a massage therapist's office across the street.  I let out a loud "HEY!" just as our neighbor did the same and the guy took off running down the street, dropping a piece of art he was attempting to steal.

As he took off, J ran out the front door down the street to see if he could find him, and called the police.  They were there within 3 minutes, no exaggeration, and within 5 minutes the helicopter was circling our part of the Village with the spot light.

We gave our descriptions of the guy to the cops (the neighbor and I were the only ones to see him) and they continued to search.  When it became evident there wasn't anything else we could do, we went back inside and tried to sleep, even though I was shaking for a good 20 minutes after the whole thing went down.  The fire department then came by and lit up the street like it was midday while they put plastic over the door frame:
There had been an art theft recently from a sculpture garden in the Village but given that this was a massage business, we definitely didn't see this coming.  Thankfully we scared the guy off before he was able to get anything, but I'm hoping this was a one time only occurrence! 


Moral of the story: If you're going to break into a building, do it after 10:30 when I'm asleep and won't spook your ass.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...