Thursday, May 17, 2012

2 Years Ago

I'm in a pretty sappy mood tonight so a sappy post is what you're gonna get.  And if it mysteriously goes missing, back to the saved posts section of my Blogger account, it's because I got shy and pulled it back in.


When I sit back and reflect on the last few years, it's amazing to me how fast the time has flown.  It was 5 years ago that I moved to DC, 4 years since the last Presidential election (which is a standard of time measurement in my business), 3 years since I moved back to Ohio and 2 years since J and I re-started our relationship.  2 years ago to the day, to be exact.  


Spring of 2010 was rough.  My Grandmother had been diagnosed with stage four lung cancer and told she had, at best, 10 months to live.  I was in a car accident in April, which created a ton of issues of its own.  Things weren't going so great at home and I was spending nearly every weekend driving back and forth between Columbus and home to see my Grandma.  Top it all off with a job that I was miserable in and it was a rough start to the year.


With everything that was going on in my personal and professional life, the stress and pressure was too much.  I cried a LOT.  I prayed a LOT.  I took a LOT of deep breaths.  All things you do when the anxiety meds just aren't doing their job and you need to feel better even if just for one second.  Throughout it all, I just kept looking at the sky, well, really the ceiling of my apartment, and saying, "I trust you," over and over and over until I felt some of the burden being taken away.  


My Grandma's health rapidly deteriorated and my praying really ramped up.  I have a pretty close group of friends but you can only be the Debbie Downer so much about work and family before it starts to take it's toll.  And frankly, with everything else that was going on, I didn't really want to tell them.  


I started praying for someone to talk to who would understand.  Sound desperate?  Cheesy?  It probably was.  But very shortly thereafter, I woke up to this:




my {weak} attempt at pixelating via PicMonkey...

We hadn't spoken in a year and a half since we had broken up (and no, he wasn't stored as "Boyfriend" in my phone at that point) so you can imagine that my first reaction was one of panic.  I immediately scrolled through sent messages, both email and text, and dialed calls to make sure I hadn't accidentally sent him something first.  


True to J form, he kept it short and sweet and to the point.  He wanted to meet that night but of course I said I had plans (which I totally did not).  We met the next night for coffee and the rest, so far, has been some pretty great history.  We don't celebrate a dating anniversary but I'm glad I saved a copy of that email and I always look forward to May 17th.





3 comments:

Shannon @ Bungalow960 said...

That is so sweet. Andy and I's anniversary is at the end of May (I think?) but we don't celebrate it either. Sometimes people are put in our lives for a reason :)

Heather Marie said...

That's just one of those things that hits your heart, and you'll never forget!

I am from Columbus, as well. :)

Melissa said...

Thanks ladies :) It's always funny how your life can turnout not at all like you'd planned.

Heather, thanks for stopping by, small world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...