Monday, April 23, 2012

Fun With Watercolors

I'm going to let you in on a little secret...I'm not that creative.  I'm really good at following DIY instructions that are laid out in a logical manner.  I like finding a room in a magazine decorated in things I like so I can incorporate those elements into my home.  It's very hard for me to let my mind wander in these instances because I tend to over-think and second guess my original thought.


So a coupe of weeks ago, I saw a DIY "art" project that required using water colors on paper, cutting the paper into strips and then assembling said strips in a frame for a unique picture.  For the life of me I cannot remember where I saw it or why in the world I didn't just pin the darn thing because it turned out so cute.  But I figured, what the heck, I can do this.


So I assembled the materials:

I figured more colors = more options for design.  And I was instantly transported back to kindergarten.  I even contemplated putting on a painting smock but figured I could handle this without much mess.


The plan was to just paint.  Paint whatever nonsensical things I could just throw on the paper.  So I tried with two different color combinations...
See, even my abstract art looks rather uniform...

Then it was time to cut:
And this is where the creativity ended.  I couldn't remember how the strips were assembled.  Was each strip cut into further strips?  How exactly was this done? I was having flashbacks to art class where I received an S- (below satisfactory) on my water color tree because I just couldn't freely paint.  So, I decided to throw this stuff out and paint what I know:
I'm no Picasso, but this will do just fine on the future gallery wall...which now has a total of two pieces ready to go!  And if I ever find that other water color project I will for sure remember to save the link.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...