Monday, March 26, 2012

Weekend in the District

It is Monday morning so that means J and I have returned from our trip to D.C. to visit with friends and family.  We left early Thursday afternoon for the 7 hour trip and I'm pleased to say that aside from one minor half hour detour so someone could get Starbucks (hint: it wasn't me) we made it there in great time.  We got to meet J's new niece, who is 6 pounds of adorable, and played with his nephew for a little bit before it was bed time.  We seriously love these kids and are so sad they don't live in Columbus anymore.  But I think I got enough baby holding time to tide me over for a little bit longer.


Friday while his brother was at work, J and his sister in law, her mother, the two kids, and I all headed to the national mall for some cherry blossoms.  I love the cherry blossoms, but having lived in D.C. for a couple of years, I was prepared for the tourists that abound the scene.  Needless to say, it was one cramped metro ride!  That evening we went out for a lovely dinner and concluded with a showing of Cars 2.  A favorite of J's nephew, but more a favorite of J's brother.


Saturday we traveled to my old neighborhood and visited Eastern Market.  I absolutely love the outdoor vendors and all of their products.  I may or may not have bought a new necklace and some handmade soap.  I later met with a dear friend of mine for lunch.  We hadn't seen each other in nearly 3 years but it was like we picked up right where we left off. 


Sunday we hit the road early to head home.  J is notorious for getting up around 5 and leaving before the rest of the house even wakes up.  When it's time to go home, he's ready to go as early as possible.  But we've made a little progress by getting him to sleep just a little longer and leaving just a little later.  With morning Starbucks in hand, we were on the road by 8:30.  The rest of the day was spent driving, catching up on laundry and resting so we were ready for our week to begin.  Oh and of course finishing the third book of the Hunger Games trilogy.  I am DYING to see the movie so if you already have, don't spoil it for me!  I think I've convinced J to see it with me after work on Tuesday.  


The first of four busy weekends is now complete and I'm hoping to get some Easter crafting done this week so I have some content to blog about. Plus, J gave the green light to stencil our half bath so I will be obsessing over stencil options until I'm able to pull the trigger!


And for a little Monday morning pick me up:
Isn't it beautiful?  This year's Cherry Blossom Festival marked the 100th anniversary of the arrival of the trees.  They take my breath away every time!

2 comments:

Shannon @ Bungalow960 said...

Holy cow those are beautiful! I've only been to DC once, and it was in August and it was MISERABLY hot. I want to go again in a less hot time of year to properly enjoy it.

Melissa said...

The summers are one reason why I left DC and moved back to the midwest!

I would suggest visiting in very early March so you could catch the start of the blossoms or sometime in late October/November--you should be able to avoid the mass import of tourists and enjoy it without the crowds. Also, I would highly recommend taking a Segway tour through the city, so fun and you learn a lot about the history you might not otherwise know!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...