Friday, March 2, 2012

Delicious Avocado Chicken Parmesan

J and I love to cook.  Well, scratch that.  I love to peruse Pinterest and find things for J to cook.  Honestly, it just makes sense that if he's home a few hours before me, why not whip up some dinner?  I know how lucky I am, I tell him that every night.  But I think it's a fair exchange when I do the planning, shopping, and the dishes afterward, right?


Tuesday night was no different when I pulled out the ingredients to make chicken parmesan.  J makes one mean chicken parm, likely because of his culinary school background but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just another awesome talent of his.  I grew up with ground beef, a jar of Prego/Ragu, and noodles (yes I realize some might call it "pasta," but it's always been noodles for me)  Noodles = spaghetti, fettuccini, or angel hair; anything you can twirl with a fork.  And this version has always worked for me.  Until I had his dish.  


But anything and everything can be modified and I was intrigued when I came across a recipe for chicken parmesan with avocados on top.  Now you might be thinking, "That Melissa is crazy.  I'm not reading this."  I assure you, my crazy doesn't come out in my cooking.  I save it for completely irrational times like every other girl.  Here's the recipe:




Avocado Chicken Parmigiana 
adapted from Cuisine Paradise

Ingredients
2 chicken breast fillets, halved lengthwise
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons milk
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup tomato pasta sauce
2 avocados, sliced
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese (we also used some cheddar)

Instructions
1.  Place chicken breasts in a clear plastic bag and using a rolling pin or meat tenderizer (flat end), pound the breasts until they are thin.  Turn on oven broiler.
2.  Place the flour in one plate and the breadcrumbs in another.  Lightly whisk milk and eggs together in a shallow bowl.
3.  Coat one piece of chicken in the flour, dip in egg mixture, then coat in breadcrumbs.  Repeat.
4.  Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat and saute chicken breasts.
5.  Once the chicken is browned, place on baking sheet.  
6.  Spoon a small amount of pasta sauce onto the chicken.
7.  Add avocado slices
8.  Cover with cheese
9.  Place under broiler just long enough to melt and brown the cheese.

You can serve with a simple side salad, or if you're like us and love those noodles, add a side of noodles and sauce.  Enjoy!


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...