Friday, February 17, 2012

Some Organization + Quick Vegetable Soup

At the start of the year I made a concerted effort to be more organized when it came to packing my lunch and planning a menu.  I am proud to say that I have successfully planned meals each night and it has saved me a ton of time at the store wandering the aisles deciding what I want to get.  Now we don't always follow the plan in day order, but for the most part we are a more efficient household as a result.  It doesn't hurt to have this handy dandy planner, though:

The menu, when updated and not sitting on my computer, is put into a page protector and any new recipes are printed out and slipped it behind it, then hung on the fridge.  That way, when J makes the dinner (he usually does and believe me, I know how lucky I am!), he can follow an easily accessible recipe.


After a month and a half of getting that part of my life in order, I'm making a better effort of picking out healthier meals and getting to the gym...so far 3 days down this week which is about three times more than I've been going.  And on the food front, I came across a delicious vegetable soup recipe last weekend that I had to try.  At 60 calories/1 cup serving, I was intrigued. 

Vegetable Soup
adapted from A Veggie Venture

Ingredients
6 cups broth (I bought 2 containers of organic vegetable broth)
2 carrots peeled and diced
4 teaspoons of garlic, minced
1/2 cabbage, chopped
1 bag frozen green beans
1 large zucchini, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 can tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Instructions
To be honest, I didn't follow the original instructions at all and the soup turned out perfect. Below is what I did:
1. Chop and dice all vegetables
2. Combine in large stock pot
3. Add vegetable broth
4. Add herbs
5. Add tomato paste
6. Add garlic  and salt

7. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce to low heat.

At this point the vegetables are tender, but I let the soup cook for a couple of hours on low.

Nutrition information from A Veggie Venture:
NUTRITION ESTIMATE Per Cup: 61 Calories; 0 g Tot Fat; 0 g Sat Fat; 13 g Carb; 3 g Fiber; NetCarb10; 701 mg Sodium; 0 mg Cholesterol; 4 g Protein; Weight Watchers Old Points .5 & PointsPlus 1

Enjoy!

And in other news, I saw this as I was walking out the door this morning:
My tulip bulbs are coming up!  It's only February 17th, WAY too early for this!

How's that for a hodge-podge Friday post?  Little organizing, little cooking, and a little gardening.  Three of my favorite things.  Happy weekend all!



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...