Thursday, February 16, 2012

Bobbins and Burp Cloths

As you may or may not recall, I received a sewing machine for Christmas.  My ultimate goal is to make all kinds of pretty things for the house: window treatments, decorative pillows, blankets, you name it.  But I'm starting small and trying to master such basics as sewing in a straight line.  Harder than you might think, people.


Per the usual, most of my craftiness comes from finding a project on Pinterest and then making it myself.  We've done framed fabriccanvas art, and (my favorite) some nail and string art.  This time, however, we're using the sewing machine.


I came across a tutorial for burp cloths on Pinterest.  It linked me to The Crafty Couple's Blog where I took a few notes, ran to Jo-Ann's, and got to work.  And before you go there, these are NOT for J and I; they are for his soon-to-be-born niece, Clare.  I am dying for a baby girl to spoil so she'll be getting lots of pink things, I assure you.


For a little variety, I bought two different kinds of flannel fabric from JoAnn's for the front of the cloth.  Then I bought enough terry cloth for the back of the cloth.  Once home, I pre-washed the fabric to make it a little softer and hopefully get any shrinkage out of the way.


I then cut the fabric into 10" x 15" rectangles:

I cut three out of this fabric and three out of a brown and pink polka dot fabric.  Then I cut six out of the terry cloth.


Once all the cutting was done, I took each set of flannel and terry cloth and flipped them inside out, lined them up, and pinned them around three sides, leaving one of the short sides open.


Unfortunately the pins didn't photograph well on this fabric so we're going to switch over to the pink one:
Once you're all pinned, sew around the three pinned edges.  I used both a 1/8" and 1/4" seam allowance (on separate cloths) to see the difference and I think I like the 1/8" allowance better.


After you're done, remove the pins and snip the edges the two sewn corners, being careful not to cut the stitch:
sorry, the project was done at night so not much good light...

Next, reach inside the cloth and pull it right side out.  You can use a chopstick to pop out the inside corners to make sure everything is where it needs to be.

After the fabric is right side out, fold in the top edge and pin.  There is no rhyme or reason to this one, per se, it's more folding until it's even with the rest of the edges.
Then proceed to stitch around all four edges using a 1/4" seam allowance.

If you are giving these away as gifts (which I did) you can roll them up and tie some ribbon around the middle for a cute little package:
This was a fairly simple project.  The most difficult part came when I was switching out the white thread to brown thread and having to remember just how that works on the sewing machine--which led to a LOT of cursing of the bobbin and the bobbin case and eventually led to a couple French martinis for Melissa.  Thank God for user manuals and instructional dvds.  

These are en route to J's sister in law as we speak, hope she likes them!

1 comments:

Messy said...

These look great! Soft and cozy! Great job!
Cheers,
Messy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...