Monday, December 12, 2011

A Little Organization

Happy Monday everyone!  I hope you all had lovely weekends and are checking off your Christmas to-do lists.  I can't believe how fast the time has flown since last Thursday.  I took full advantage of my "free weekend" and was extremely productive with my free time--not enough Hallmark Christmas movie watching if you ask me, but I did manage to get the house cleaned and a few other things crossed off my list.

One of the battles J and I had upon the commencement of our co-habitation was what I would do with all of my shoes.  I don't have that many shoes.  At least not nearly as many as I'd like and I have significantly scaled back on purchases this year.  But my collection is roughly six times larger than J's and in a house with tiny closets, there isn't much space for storage.  So I looked for solutions everywhere.  


Over the door rack?  No.  "Nothing goes on these doors," he says.


Under the bed containers? No.  "I want to see my shoes and access them easily.  I'm not crawling under the bed every time I want to try a pair on."


And hanging something in the closet was not an option because I'd be losing valuable clothing space.  Even though he threw that suggestion out there.


Tiered racks like this are, well, impractical for me and don't hold enough shoes:

{via}
And I'm not about to spend $250 for this shoe cubbie (as nice as it looks):
{via}
And don't even get me started on this:
{via}
I was starting to think what I was looking for was not going to be found.  I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a shoe rack that would be tucked into my closet and I didn't want to be so cheap it fell apart.  Friday night I planned a trip to Walmart to get baking supplies because I find their ingredients to be much cheaper than the usual grocery stores.  On a whim I checked their website and typed in "shoe storage" in the search and was pleasantly surprised with what I found:


{via}
Their Canopy line of home products features this 16 pair (!!!) canvas shoe rack for the low, low price of $24.88.  Are you kidding me?! Sold!  So I looked up the closest Walmart to me that had them in stock and naturally it was on the other side of town.  So off I went around the Columbus outer belt in what I like to call snowrain (snow flakes are falling - pretty -  but hits everything like rain so you end up with none of the benefits of snow and all of the inconveniences of rain) and picked up my baking items and my shoe rack.


I must say this was hands down the easiest thing I've ever constructed.  I grabbed one of J's screwdrivers (yes honey, I put it back right where I found it) and had it put together in 20 minutes.  Easier than anything I've ever gotten from Ikea - which I maintain is a relationship ruiner, not a fun do it together type project - and cheaper too.


The rack comes with four legs and two end pieces to which the legs attach.  At both ends of the legs are these screws with rubber pieces that pad the metal pieces from rubbing together upon assembly.  

That's the screwdriver securing the pieces together.  Like my photography skills where I use the camera with one hand and attempt to handle tools with the other?


I was able to assemble the whole thing on our coffee table and the finished project was better than I had anticipated:


Upstairs I went and took my shoe collection from this (well they were actually in a big pile in the closet but I had to organize them a bit before putting the rack in the closet:



To this:
There are a couple of leftover shoes (mostly flats) that didn't make the rack, but they stack nicely next to it for now.  If and when the time comes for a bigger closet, I'd be very willing to purchase another one of these and organize the collection even further.  Overall, I give this a rating of two "craps" and one "damn" on the assembly process (Keeping the blog version a little cleaner than what actually came out of my mouth)  Mainly because I got a nasty scrape on my finger and those little rubber pieces popped out of place a couple of times resulting in dropped screws.  


And there you have it, my Friday night.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...