Wednesday, November 23, 2011

happy thanksgiving

{via}
As a child, my grandmother would make me, my sister and my two cousins note what we were thankful for before we started our Thanksgiving dinner.  We would then go around the table and aunts and uncles and my parents would partake as well.  We'd be seated at the kids' table with little decorative paper turkeys marking our respective spots, each trying to get the seat furthest away from Uncle Tim.  Because everyone knows if you got up to go to the bathroom or grab yourself something from the kitchen, you'd come back to a plate that looked how you left it, only to find he'd run the back end of your fork in the mashed potatoes/gravy/green bean casserole.  And you'd never remember to check it first before you picked it up and got the food all over your hands.


This Thanksgiving will be a scaled back family gathering.  Just my grandparents, mom, sister, J, and me.  Cousins have gotten married and moved away and aunts and uncles have family to visit in other states.  Gone are the days where you could visit mom's side and dad's side in the same day because it was just four people to load into the car on your way to the next house.


I've always been the sentimental type.  I've been crying at feel good Hallmark movies ever since they started making them.  I cherish my recipe book filled with my Grandma's hand written recipes.  Especially the ones where she included notes like "Melissa, you hardly taste the horseradish," because she knows it's not my favorite condiment.  I used to write my Great Grandmother a hand written letter every Sunday and mail it to her in the nursing home because, really, who doesn't love getting a good piece of mail?  And honestly, what are the holidays without Grandpa's Chex Mix? (It's seriously magical, and he refuses to tell anyone but my sister what is in it.)


Even as I grow older, establish my own home and hopefully have children of my own someday, I'll always consider that little nook of Ohio my home.  My base.  With my family.


I am thankful for a million things that I could list here for the world to see, but most of all, I'm thankful for my family.  Including J, because "officially" or not, he's family too.  And I love sharing him with my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins because that's what Thanksgiving and the holiday season is all about. 


Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.  Overindulge yourself on some good ol' family time and a little bit of turkey, too.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...