Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Bathroom Start to Finish

Well there you have it folks, another weekend has come and gone and I still haven't gotten my act together by scheduling a few posts ahead of time so when nights like tonight come, I don't have to worry about staying up to write a post.  But here I am.  It's Monday evening and I just wrapped up a wonderful book club meeting at my house.  We had a lot of good food and a lot of great discussion.  And the girls even got a tour of the house (sorry the office isn't unpacked yet!)


So without further ado, we move on to the next room in the house.  One of these days, I'm going to learn Google SketchUp so I can show you how everything is laid out, but that will come after I can successfully schedule more than one post ahead of time.


When J bought the house, among one of the most immediate needs was a new bathroom.  The house has 1.5 bathrooms, the half bath was mentioned in this post.  The full bath, located on the second floor, is where we will begin today.  And I can proudly say we have start to finish pictures of this room (yaaaaay!!!) Here is what J had to start with:




I'm getting nauseous just seeing the dirty toilet.



Oh look, more of that gross tile from the downstairs bathroom.

And honestly, how disgusting does that shower look?

Faster than you can say, "Gag," J had that stuff up and out of there.  And this is one point where I'm kind of glad I wasn't around.

Gone are the toilet and the tile and some drywall...

Then out went the vanity and more drywall...
And finally, we bid adieu to the nasty old tub.

At this point, J had done some shopping around and found the most wonderfully deep soaking tub with jets.  And personally, after one terrible car accident, a couple of bad days and the random Sunday afternoon bath with a book and an iPod, I can attest that this tub works wonders.

The tricky part, however, was that given the landing at the top of the stairs and the position at which you would have to maneuver the bathtub into the room, the tub would not just fit into the bathroom head on.

Thankfully, the bathroom is situated between the guest and master bedrooms so he could take it straight into the guest room, cut a hole in the shared wall, and slide that baby right on in.  And that's just what he did.

View from the guest room




 Another guest room view, this time before we cover up the motor and outlet with an access panel.



Once the tub was in place it was time to install one of the best features of the room:


Heated. Tile. Floors.  I die.


I've never had the luxury of having heated tile floors in any of the places I've lived.  Sure, I've heard they are great, but why not just wear socks?  Or slippers?  Needless to say, I'm addicted and J assures me this is one fantastical element we will have in all of our future homes.

Once the radiant heat wires were installed, the floor was put down and J began to tile the rest of the bathroom with tile purchased from the Tile Shop.  The same tiles are still in stock there (as of last week):






And here you have the finished product with a new vanity, toilet, tub and tiled everything:



I'm now kicking myself because there is currently a mirror hanging above this vanity but just when I thought I had all of the pictures, I don't.  And it's too dark out to take one and expect good lighting.  Curses.

The only issue J ran into was finding a nice shower curtain that was tall enough and wide enough to cover the opening.  So he found a tall window curtain panel that incorporated colors of the tile and hung that instead.  Usually, I would prefer to keep the shower curtain shut at all times.  I mean, who needs to see all of the things I REQUIRE to get ready in the morning?  But given the tile detail in the shower, I like leaving it open so you can see that back wall.  And the colors in the curtain panel give it a nice pop of color:


Ain't it beautiful?

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...